It is an universally accepted culture that people clothe, adorn, shape, and decorate their bodies to make an impression.
Physical appearance, especially the way you clad, the way you carry yourself, speak so much about your personality and about specific traits like intelligence, dependability, industriousness, honesty, friendliness, neatness, religiosity and conventionality.
You must have come across a lot of situations, a person’s appearance strongly influences other’s perceptions of him/her, and this phenomenon is necessarily repetitive with each new encounter. The individuals who appear more pleasing to others are thought to have more desirable personalities.
So, if you want to succeed in your career, marry mates with more potential, be better adjusted and happier, then start taking your appearance seriously.
Reasons Why you should take your appearance seriously?
In a corporate environment, when we dress professionally and formally, we make statement that says, I want to be Respected, and I want to be taken Seriously.
1. Your appearance is a reflection of motivation and professionalism.
Personal Appearance and presentation is just as important as a skill or qualification.
Every employee of a company must understand and be aware of the effect that their personal appearance has on others because your “overall look” speak volume about what you are and it is an instant communication of “first impression” to other people.
Looks certainly do matter and if you would look good you would feel good and it certainly will boost your self-esteem and self-confidence; good presentation enhances personality.
As an employee of an organization, you are a representation of that company’s brand also take into account that what you wear has an influence of your general mood because in any job you cannot afford to think negatively about yourself due to some characteristic about your overall appearance.
2. Your appearance has an immediate impact on your Colleagues, Clients and Bosses.
It is totally acceptable for people to judge you on your appearance, that includes your clothes, body language and facial expressions – visual impact is about attitude.
Please keep in mind that working on your body language can improve your overall personal presentation, avoid troubled and anxious facial expressions and stand up-right as all these factors contribute towards optimism.
3. Your clothing and grooming affect the way you think. There is something you absolutely cannot afford doing and that is, thinking negatively about yourself due to some aspect of your appearance. When you appear authentic, attractive, and appropriate, you think more positively about yourself, your situation, and others.
4. Your clothing and grooming affect the way you feel. You can’t afford to feel depressed, unproductive, uncomfortable, antagonistic, argumentative, self-conscious, inferior, or full of self-doubt because if you start feeling so it will affect your work A positive personal appearance is a fast, effective way to boost self-confidence and overcome anxiety regarding ability or acceptance. When you appear attractively dressed and groomed, personally authentic, and appropriate for the occasion, you feel more comfortable, confident, capable, cooperative and productive.
5. Your clothing and grooming affect the way you act or behave. You can’t afford to act awkward, insecure, submissive, out-of-place, or out-of-order. Nor can you afford to act defensive, defiant, arrogant, aggressive, affected, superior, or conceited. A positive personal appearance is one of the most effective ways to improve behavior and enhance performance level or productivity. When you appear attractively dressed and groomed, personally authentic, and appropriate for the occasion, you act more secure, at ease, mannerly, competent, and naturally able to do your best.
6. Your clothing and grooming affect the way others react and respond to you.
Your appearance is the one personal characteristic that is immediately obvious and accessible to others. You can’t hide it. Your appearance makes a strong statement about your personality, values, attitudes, interests, knowledge, abilities, roles, and goals. You can’t afford to be seen as disrespectful, antagonistic, pretentious, scatterbrained, irresponsible, ineffective, or unproductive. You can’t afford to create a negative impression or to build barriers between you and others because of unattractive, inappropriate, distracting, or offensive appearance.
When you appear attractively dressed and groomed, personally authentic, and appropriate for the occasion, you create a positive impression and others are more able to perceive your positive traits and regard you more favorably.
Your appearance is one situation factor you can generally control. While there is no one-and-only right way to look “authentic,” “appropriate,” “attractive,” and “affordable” are key words to dress by. The harmonious selection and coordination of clothing, with attention to proper fit and care is essential.
You must create an authentic, appropriate, attractive, and affordable appearance, then forget about yourself and get on with your life if you hope to accomplish your goals and objectives. Think in terms of dressing authentically for you as an individual—for your personality, values, attitudes, and interests. Think in terms of dressing appropriately for the group, the occasion, and the purpose at hand. Think in terms of dressing attractively for your physical body. The same advice applies to your grooming.
Learn to manage your clothing and grooming aids as a resource, a tool to help you think, feel, and act your personal and/or professional best; to create a positive first and lasting impression about yourself and your abilities. I challenge you to become more aware of how your clothing and grooming affect the way you think, the way you feel, and the way you act, and the way others react to you. With thought and practice you can create an affordable, attractive appearance, authentic, appropriate, and acceptable for both you and the occasion or expectations of others, an appearance that will help you achieve your goals and objectives. Make the power of personal appearance work for you!
It doesn’t matter what you trying to convey about your personality, the first impression always lies in your appearance. So before you decide to spend a small fortune on fancy attire, give it some thought. You need to consider how others will perceive you based on your outer appearance.
A Good Appearance and personality include right Fashion, Communication Skills, Behavior.
If you care about yourself, please read this blog post by Pragya
For tips on right workwear for women, please visit this blog post by Sabrina.
For tips on right and sustainable fashion, please visit this blog post by Palak.
For tips on great communication and Public Speaking Skills, please visit this blog post by Drish
For tips on Right behavior and Mental Health, please visit this blog post by IndianUkSoul